The digital portfolio brief has inspired me to put pen to paper and begin a new studio journal for the year. I love my journals. The journalling habit I cemented in 2012 has really stuck. I now don’t dare leave the house with out a note book in tow.
Generally I tend to scrawl a cornucopia of notes .. largely conceptually orientated ones… the digital portfolio has thus far sparked questions as to the area of personal identity.
In fact I have suffered something of an identity crisis over the past few weeks… no surprises there…
Some key concerns/questions the digital portfolio has inspired me to consider are :
– The relationship between the individual and elements of branding .
– individual’s whose identity is linked to a brand
ie. Karen Walker
– The fact relationship between the multifaceted nature of human existence and the often fixed/limited/consistent dimensions of brands slash portfolios
– Do you need to edit yourself for the public profile ?
– What do I want to achieve with a public profile?
– The web as a medium for promotion/experimentation.
-Authenticity and its relationship with “success”.
– Do we want to sell something or be something?
– Where do I fit on the corporate scale..
– Corporate web language / identity vs. Individual intellectual identity.
– Web Dialogue and its various forms /classes/languages.
– Branding Identity and how the web portfolio fits into this process.
– Getting out of the ” my name is … and this is my picture” genre . Seriously there is nothing more patronizing. Please grow up.
– Issues with developing a web identity before we have time to consider/develop a brand/personal identity
– How do creative practitioners navigate the corporate/personal identity crisis…
All in all I am surprised and inspired by the amount of questioning this brief has inspired me to do. Certainly looking forward to the development of this process…